Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Challenge 6- create a frame

So our challenge of the weekend was to create a frame using hard embellishments like brads, buttons, wood veneer,  bling, etc. I got all excited over the idea of using up a bunch of my button stash. Until this class, I hardly ever pulled out the old button stash.  Now I am in a tizzy about using up supplies that I've had on hand for 5 years or more, so I dug through my Clip-it-up and pulled out one of those old Jenni Bowlin rub on butterflies. I had this huge yellow one and didn't really know what to do with it. This time I decided to bling it up with buttons and brads and make it the central focus of my layout about a day at the National Zoo. I love that butterfly- so much so that it took me a few days of moving things around before I was happy with it on the layout. I needed a simple design because the butterfly was so huge and eye-catching, but I needed to balance that with the rest. I think it finally worked when I pulled out the green buttons and brads. A friend of mine said I must have used up all the yellow and green buttons in my stash. Um, no. I still have a ton left. Because evidently I was stocking up for the great button shortage of the future, and wanted to be sure I had enough green. It was a great feeling to use up so many. I think I put 96 hard embellishments on this page. (I ended up removing the bright green enamel dots in the middle- just left the square and I think it looks much better)

Can't wait for the next challenge. 

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Challenge 5- button flowers






































Today's Stashbusting challenge was all about buttons, specifically creating button flowers. The one Aly made in the class was bright and cute against a plain background but I wanted to change it up a bit and try something softer. So I challenged myself to use this busy floral background and make a not so busy layout. The patterned paper is from the Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party collection.  I stuck to the color palate of the paper- blue- greens, cream and yellow. This layout was from deep in the stash.  I put a cream paper behind the button flowers so that they would stand out against the background and then outlined them for the same reason. I even dug out my old Fiskars weave punch to use for borders. That thing hasn't seen the light of day in years. I'm really happy with the results.  Plus, how cute it little Sophia!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Challenge 4

This week our challenges at Stashbusters is all about hard embellishments- metals, plastics, wood etc.  Challenge 4 focused on metal embellishments. I have a whole bunch of Tim Holtz and 7gypsies metal embellishments that I have purchased over the years when I was doing the 12 tags of Christmas challenges with Tim Holtz. But I really don't use these items on scrapbook pages. They always seem just a bit too heavy.

So today's challenge was perfect- I can use some stash and force myself to think outside the box with embellishing.


This layout is of our annual family portrait . I always scrap the sillier ones. I think they tell a more true story of who we are.

I never realized how much I am dependent on my scrapbooking process and how challenging it is to mix it up.  I had to begin with metal embellishments. I pulled them all out and tried to see what could work on a page for me. I have a ton of metal photo corners that you may see in a future layout. But for this one,  I dug out the clocks and added the game spinners to them. I swished a bit of pearlized paint on them hoping to lighten them up a bit- weight wise. I knew I wanted to use three clocks in a triangle on the page and I built the layout from there. I have done similar layouts in the past with two horizontal 4x6 photos- with the difficulty I was having working with the clocks, I wanted to stick to a familiar formula for the layout.  I chose to work with the family photos because I liked the idea of time being so precious. I actually began this whole layout with a kraft background but the layout seemed so dark with the clocks that at the end I ripped off the back and re-glued everything down on vanilla cardstock which lightened up the whole thing. I am much happier with it now.

All of the papers were from the stash. It's amazing how much great stuff I have buried in my paper files.  As I am trying to get over the shopping for supplies addiction, I am finding that I can still be as productive and creative with a more limited supply base.  

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Challenge 3

Ok this one took awhile. The challenge was to create a chevron pattern from scraps. The process was very detail oriented and there was a lot of gluing involved. But I really like how it turned out. I didn't add any embellishments because this is one of those layouts where the paper speaks for itself.


I ended up adding a bit more journaling on the other woodgrain stripe. Got to say I am loving this BPC class. All Stashbusting, all the time. 

Monday, April 14, 2014

Challenge 2

This weekend's challenge was to use a star burst. Now I had just done a star burst with flowers last week. I didn't want to repeat myself with the same design. So I did struggle a bit to figure this one out.


I decided I wanted to go with a softer pallet and let the photos stand out. I love the way the star burst turned out. I added a little bit of bling that I've had in the stash for years. I'm not sure I love the twine and birds, but I glued them down and am now stuck with them. Ah well this is what happens when I scrap late at night. Still, I am loving it overall and it looks completely different from my last star burst layout. I didn't think that particular design element could be so versatile. But it is. Great way to use up scraps too. I can't believe I haven't shopped in months and yet I am still being productive. Crazy.